To see upcoming programs in your area visit the Program List here.
The DESMOND Program (Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) is an education tool designed to support people living with type 2 diabetes.
It is delivered by specially trained DESMOND Educators who will assist your self- management by increasing your knowledge and understanding of what type 2 diabetes can mean for you. Diabetes WA is the first organisation to deliver DESMOND in Australia, and the program is currently only available in WA.
What will I learn during the DESMOND session?
As well as getting up-to-date information, you will learn practical skills for managing diabetes. You'll discuss and learn about areas including food choices, physical activity and medication interactions.
You will also be able to meet and talk to others with type 2 diabetes. At the end of the sessions, everyone taking part in DESMOND will have information to take home for reference.
The program is built around group activities, but there will be opportunities for individuals to speak to a diabetes educator on their own if they need.
If you find the idea of joining in at these sessions too difficult, no one will make you contribute. However, you’ll get much more out of the sessions if you come prepared to share your experiences, thoughts and opinions.
DESMOND may help people with diabetes achieve:
- Lower HbA1c
- Improved health outcomes
- Supported weight reduction
- Improved levels of physical activity
- Effective smoking cessation intervention
- Improved understanding of diabetes
- Reduced depression
Tell me more about a DESMOND Session:
- You will experience six hours of education delivered in one full day, or two half day sessions
- Each program is delivered by two specially trained DESMOND Educators
- Groups can take up to 10 participants living with diabetes
- Each participant with diabetes is able to bring a partner or friend with them for support
Where can I do a DESMOND session?
DESMOND is currently available in Albany, Belmont, Geraldton, Joondalup, Kwinana, Katanning, Mandurah, Meekatharra, Mount Magnet, Midland, Rockingham, Subiaco.
- British Medical Journal: Effectiveness of the DESMOND programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: cluster randomised controlled trial. Download journal article here.
- British Medical Journal: Delivering the DESMOND programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: cost effectiveness analysis. Download journal artilce here.