Workshops and Services
Should you choose low carb, or even no carb? Do you need to know about Keto, or Paleo or the South Beach diet? It can be hard to find the information you need to make the right choice for you.
If you have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, reviewing your diet will often be the very first step in managing your condition. Carbohydrates in particular come under scrutiny, given this food group has the most direct effect on your blood glucose levels.
There is now an overwhelming selection of diets and eating plans out there offering different suggestions on which kind of carbohydrates to eat, how much to eat and when to eat them.
CarbSmart is a short course designed to help you find the answers you need, so you can enjoy quality carbohydrates in a way that suits you and your diabetes.
- where carbohydrates come from and which foods have them
- why some carbohydrates can be more useful than others
- recommended amounts of carbohydrates as per the Australian Dietary Guidelines
- what the Glycaemic Index means and how to use it to choose quality carbohydrates
- the concept of carbohydrate “exchanges” and how these can be used to balance the amount of carbohydrates in your day.
By the end of the course you’ll have more confidence to make decisions on how to safely incorporate carbohydrates into your diet, without the need for missing out on the foods you enjoy.