Workshops and Services
If you have type 2 diabetes, at some point your doctor might prescribe medication to help you manage your blood glucose levels.
Your healthcare team will strive to tailor your medication regime to your and your lifestyle. But making sense of the different names, active ingredients and doses can be hard enough, let alone trying to understand how each medication works and why it is important.
Confusion can lead to frustration, fear of medication and missed doses.
MedSmart is a short course in medication self-management that will provide you with practical information on your medication, how it works, how to take it and how it can help you manage your diabetes.
The MedSmart program covers:
- what is happening in the body in someone living with diabetes
- types of diabetes medications and why they are used
- how to identify key information on medication boxes
- common side effects of medications and how you can manage them
- obstacles that may prevent medications being taken as prescribed, and how to manage them
- how to work with healthcare professionals to develop a medication regime you are comfortable with.
Ultimately MedSmart will help you to develop the skills and confidence to self-manage your medications and negotiate obstacles should they arise.
For people living with type 2 diabetes.