Diabetes WA Helpline and Telehealth service
1300 001 880
8.30am – 4.30pm Monday to Friday
Combining a free helpline to answer burning questions, and a free clinical telehealth consult service, Diabetes WA is providing people living with diabetes, carers, support workers and their health professionals with comprehensive access to personalised diabetes management advice from a Credentialled Diabetes Educator.
How it works
If a caller to the Helpline needs extended clinical support, they will be offered a free consult with our Credentialled Diabetes Educator through telehealth (videoconferencing) at a time of their choosing, at your practice or at their home. Health professionals can also refer directly into the telehealth service.
There is no cost for your patients to access this service. It is funded outside Medicare, so it does not take up any of the five rebatable allied health visits accessed through a GP Management Plan and Team Care Arrangement.
Established in 2014 for country WA, clinical telehealth consultations are available to regional patients. This can be especially valuable if your patient can’t make it to see you in person because of self-isolation and it supports your relationship with your patient by following up with you after a telehealth consultation.
Reasons why you would refer a patient
Our credentialled diabetes educators can provide education and support on a range of topics. All referrals are welcome, however given the current situation, priority will be given to patients requiring the following support:
- sick day advice and resources (we anticipate that not all people with diabetes will have a current sick day plan or feel confident to independently manage their condition during times of illness or distress).
- back up planning if diabetes product supply, such as insulin pump consumables, is interrupted.
- diabetes management for frail or vulnerable members of the community who have been advised to self-isolate.
- starting insulin use or other injectable therapy (for patients with type 2 diabetes)
- gestational diabetes management.
You can read how telehealth works from a patient’s point of view. For other enquiries please call 1300 001 880 or contact us via email.